Now, by raise of hand, who can tell me what A.D. stands for?
Student: anno Domini
Me: Good. Perfect. And what about B.C?
Student: before Christ
Me: That's right, now why did historians change the acronym from B.C. to B.C.E?
Student: gives correct answer, then another student Ariel raises her hand.
Me: yes, did you have a question Ariel?
Ariel: Miss Wright, tell them what's gonna happen in 2012!
All the students are waiting anxiously for me to unlock some mystery.
Me: You mean the end of the Mayan calendar?
Arial: Yes, ma'am. (eyebrows raised as if the matter is of immediate importance)
Me: I look around the class and look back at Ariel and say, "well, I'm not quite sure what you mean, please elaborate on that and enlighten us."
Ariel: Turns to face the rest of the class and says, "Well, in 2012, the year will no longer be A.D. It will change to T.C. Yeah." The class is silent and we're all looking at Ariel, including myself. Me: "T.C. huh?" I'm looking at her in disbelief and wondering what in the world she is going to say.
Ariel: Yes, Miss Wright, T.C.! TOTAL CHAOS!!" Then folds her arms and keeps a very serious and focused look on her face because she is 100% right, and so smart!
I burst into laughter and so do the rest of the students. Ariel pumps the air because she is so proud of herself and I say, "well, I gotta give you props on that one girl."
And then I quieted down the class and we continued.
I love the kids out here.
You know I'm loving every second of this! I'm so glad you
ReplyDeletecreated a blog. This is the next best thing to actually living it with you. Of course you love it there and of course you fit in perfectly. I can't wait to hear about the rest of your adventures.
I love you girl! And miss you. Oh, and any time you feel inclined, go ahead and fly me up there so I can teach you the jerk. I'm sure it will be a double hit with this pregnant belly of mine.
Haha. And who says we need to worry about this generation?
ReplyDeletePs. I love how afterwards you just go back to teaching. What was the subject for the day?
-Gare